7 Reasons to See a Chiropractor During Pregnancy
Many women wonder if they should see a chiropractor while pregnant. More importantly, they question if it’s a safe way to treat those regular pregnancy pains.
Research shows 75% of pregnant women experience pelvic and back pain that increases with each passing month. Medications are off the table, so how can you treat the pain? By getting regular chiropractic care throughout pregnancy to treat malalignments in the spine and pelvis.
In this article, I’ll go over risks of realignment in pregnant women, along with seven crucial reasons you should see a chiropractor during pregnancy.
Risks of Seeing a Chiropractor During Pregnancy
Even with all our awesome medical technology and science, pregnancy, labor, and delivery are still the riskiest things you will ever do as a woman. There really aren’t any risks to chiropractic care during pregnancy. It’s non-invasive and uses no medications.
However, pregnant women with the following conditions should first seek care with their primary provider or OB/GYN before consulting a chiropractor:
- Vaginal bleeding
- Ruptured amniotic membranes
- Sudden onset of pelvic pain
- Premature labor
- Placenta previa
- Placenta abruption
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Moderate to severe toxemia
The 7 Reasons to See a Chiropractor During Pregnancy
So, you’re growing a human. That’s amazing! It’s also a huge responsibility to nurture and bring this life into existence safely. Ensuring their safety from the moment of conception is generally what the ‘Mom’ tag is all about.
Receiving chiropractic care while pregnant is one of the best and healthiest things you can do for yourself and your baby. Here are the seven primary reasons you’ll want to see a chiropractor during pregnancy.
- An out-of-alignment pelvis can restrict the space your fetus has in which to grow and move. This is called ‘intrauterine constraint’ and often leads to birth defects.
- A misaligned pelvis can also lead to a difficult delivery, leading to a woman’s inability to have a natural, non-invasive birth.
- A well-aligned pelvis reduces your baby’s risk of moving into a breech or posterior position.
- Pelvic and spinal realignments help balance your body’s structure, making it easier to maintain pregnancy’s extra weight and movements.
- In addition to helping with back and pelvic pain, chiropractic care can help relieve pain in your joints, hips, and neck as well.
- A realignment frees the flow of fluids in your spinal column, which often translates into higher energy levels, better sleep, and less stiffness.
- Finally, there is some evidence to suggest women who’ve undergone chiropractic care during pregnancy have a smoother and faster delivery.
Now, if that last one didn’t get you hooked on seeing the chiro, I don’t know what will!
Having said that, before you tab over to Google and search for your new chiro, here are four myths about chiros that are actually true. Learn a few things to watch out for and get a better understanding of how chiropractors work.
Are you in the Norwalk area?
My monthly newsletter focuses on helping you gain control of your whole-body well-being. You’ll learn about specific movements and stretches for different parts of the body (including before, during, and after pregnancy), natural healing remedies, and crucial medical science that involves the musculoskeletal system.
Whether you’re here to meet a new chiro or just looking for information, signing up for my newsletter will help you stay up to date on all the latest posts and essential info that’ll keep you moving strong.