Should Your Chiropractor Be Treating Headaches?
A Gonstead chiropractor can treat various conditions, including chronic headaches, migraines, fibromyalgia, and other chronic pain syndromes. When treating headaches, a Gonstead chiropractic care provider can pinpoint areas in your spine likely contributing to or causing the problem. They’re a tremendous asset to your headache treatment regimen, especially if you’re looking for safe, natural, and effective remedies.
The Difference Between Headaches and Migraines
One of the most confusing parts of differentiating between the two is that migraines include headaches as a symptom; however, migraines are different because it’s a condition, not just a symptom.
A condition is a state, whereas a symptom is a sign of an underlying issue. Often, headaches occur with migraines, but they aren’t the migraines themselves. They can come on because of things like:
• Sinus infections
• Congenital disabilities
• Blunt trauma
Headaches are a byproduct of something deeper and more severe. Migraines are another possible cause of headaches. It’s like the pain you feel when you get a papercut; the cut causes the pain, but it isn’t the cut itself.
At Slovin Chiropractic Center, we offer unique regimens for treating headaches and migraines. Migraines are a condition and not a disease. A disease is a pathophysiological response referring to a physical condition that usually results from a structural change; therefore, migraines require a holistic approach through Gonstead methods.
Does Chiropractic Care Work in Treating Headaches? The Research
There’s not a ton of research that looks at chiropractic treatment for migraines and chronic headaches; however, there are a few notable findings from past and recent studies.
• A study analyzing 22 clinical trials with more than 2,600 patients with several types of headaches showed that chiropractic treatment was an excellent preventive measure.
• Another study showed that 22% of migraine patients reported a 90% decrease in their attacks after chiropractic treatment.
• In Australia, a study done in 1999 consisting of 127 patients reported that those who received chiropractic care were less likely to use medications because the severity and frequency of attacks were significantly decreased.
• In that Australian study, 80% of patients said that stress was a significant trigger, leading scientists to believe that chiropractic care helps the body react better to stress.
Your Chiropractor’s Natural Treatment for Headaches
When you’re moving, thinking, and working at your best, chronic headaches or migraines are easier to control and manage with other self-care methods like:
• Getting more physical activity. Our body releases endorphins when we exercise. These make you feel great and more energized. If you work at a desk or sit for most of the day, make the simple change of getting a standing desk (or standing desk attachment) or getting up and moving around more during the day.
• Eating a healthier and more balanced diet. You are what you eat. The food you eat may be the reason for your body aches and pains. It’s worth the effort to change what you eat. At the very least, try eliminating gluten and dairy from your meals and snacks.
• Drinking more water. Dehydration is a common problem in those with chronic headaches or migraines. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water. If you weigh 150 pounds, drink 75 ounces (about 9.5 cups) of water each day.
• Supplementing vitamins and minerals to address likely deficiencies. Most of us are deficient in something. While treating headaches, I generally advise patients to start on magnesium and vitamin D3 to get started.
• Developing solid stress-coping techniques. Deep breathing,meditation, daily walks, affirmations, exercise, hot baths, massage—do what works for you to keep stress levels down.
I’ve treated migraines and headaches for over 20 years. I’m also a migraineur. That means I have dozens of tools and resources that’ll help you manage chronic headaches or migraines. My individualized treatment plans target troublesome areas in your spine and correct the malalignment so your body can function at its greatest potential. When you’re at your best, so is your ability to take on the challenge of treating headaches or migraines. You’re not alone. We can help you if you’re near Norwalk. Give us a call or request an appointment online today.